“Wonder” Review

Lionsgate

Sammy Pierotti, Journalist

Wonder, a heartwarming book about August “Auggie” Pullman, was made into a movie that premiered November 17th. Auggie has a rare medical facial deformity, which he refers to as “mandibulofacial dysostosis”, which is more commonly known as Treacher Collins Syndrome and a Cleft Palate. The movie tells Auggie’s story, as well as the stories of everyone around him. All of the characters interact to create the story of Auggie’s life, and to show that there is more than one side to every story.

The story revolves around Auggie, who is starting 5th grade at the beginning of the movie. He has been homeschooled his whole life, and is not used to being around other kids. His facial deformity immediately makes him an outcast. Throughout the movie he makes new friends, including Jack Will and Summer. Auggie is played by Jacob Tremblay, Jack Will is played by Noah Jupe, and Summer is played by Millie Davis. As Auggie navigates his new elementary school, his sister Via deals with the stress of high school. Via struggles with Auggie being the center of her parents life, and also has a hard time with her friend Miranda as she goes back to school from summer break. Although she loves her brother, she wishes that her parents would pay more attention to her. As Via and Auggie are both starting new chapters of their lives, their mom has time to finish her thesis. She was occupied with home-schooling Auggie before he went off to public school, and so she had to stop her progress on it.

Wonder’s message is inspirational to an audience of all ages. The entire theatre was on the edge of their seats when Jack Will fought Julian, and everyone was a bit teary eyed when Auggie accepted his award at 5th grade graduation. With raving reviews and a timeless story, Wonder is the perfect movie to watch for the holidays.