Fall State 2017

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

On November 18 to19, the Corona del Mar Speech and Debate Team, attended the Orange County Fall State convention, which is a Junior State of America (JSA) event. It lasted a duration of two days and was held at the Irvine Marriott.
The convention began with a keynote speech by Joseph Sanberg. Sandberg graduated from Harvard University, was the JSA governor twenty-five years ago, and attended high school at Anaheim Servite High School. Sandberg is the founder of CalEITC4Me, an outreach program that assists low-income families acquire income tax credits in the state of California. He is also the co-founder if Aspiration.com, a virtual banking and investment enterprise. He spoke of the current severity of income levels in California and expressed that it was an issue that did not obtain adequate attention. Sandberg also spoke of his early life and his own family’s struggles, and how they correlate to his companies. The keynote speech was quite informative and eye-opening. ‘
The event was comprised of ten blocks. Blocks one through nine were made up of various debates. In block zero multiple option were given to the attendees, and a number of them allowed individuals to enhance their debating skills.
The entire convention consisted of fifty-two debates, allowing there to be a debate that could accommodate to anyone’s interests. On the first day, there were five blocks, and after all the debates concluded, all the attendees gathered for a chapter caucus. In the caucus, the evening’s activities were discussed, along with a few general announcements.
At every JSA over-night event, a dance and a number of activities are held. This year, the dance was themed “outer space” and there was a talent show and game of family feud. The activities are another opportunity for students from different delegations to interact and become acquainted with one another.
The following day, the remainder of the debates took place, and the convention concluded with a closing session. In the closing session, all the best speakers were announced, and the governor shared a few more announcements regarding the event.
JSA Fall State 2017 was an incredible event that gave many opportunities for high school students to improve their speaking skills. It also allowed for the kindling of so many long-lasting friendships. It is truly an unforgettable occasion.