The Ancient Massage

imgur.com

imgur.com

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

imgur.com
Normally, when people hear the term “massage” they usually think of a nice relaxing rubdown to release stress and tension in the body, but this ancient tradition is taking massaging to a whole new level. The last tool you would think to be incorporated in a relaxing massage is used, a knife. Knife massage, or dao liao, is traced to be an ancient tradition that was established over 2,000 years ago. Although China began to discontinue the ritual, it is still quite popular in present day Taiwan.
The process of the massage begins with one being wrapped in a semi-thin protective padding to protect the skin from any cuts. The knives are already dulled, but this is a safety precaution that helps contribute to the ultimate end result of dao liao. The masseuse’s goal is to use the butcher knives to conduct the flow of positive and negative energy that enters and leaves the skin.
Dao liao is also consisted of certain jolts of the masseuse’s wrist, so that they can control the invisible energy that flows in the body. Not just anyone can begin to practice this massaging style, because it takes great care and education to learn the philosophy of it, along with all of the ways to leave the customers feeling refreshed afterwards.
Prices vary, depending on where you go, but the average cost is about 40 USD for a 30 minute session. It is almost double of what we charge here in the United States for a regular massage. However, as of now it is not known to be popular in the U.S.
The masseuses are specially trained and are experts on what they do, which means they know what points of the body exude more positive and negative energy. This practice has surprisingly becoming more evident in places in Asia, and it may begin to migrate to the United States at some point in time. Don’t be fooled by the concept of dao liao, because it could be the most refreshing and relaxing massage that one can receive.