Dancing with the Teachers

(left to right) Madison Lobel, Jessica Abulencia, Heather Kroeger, and Angie Carpio. The four of them were awarded the Judge's Choice for their outstanding hip hop routine.

Riley Foster and Isabella Webb

Last Thursday marked CdM’s sixth annual Dancing With the Teachers event. This year’s event was an undeniable success with its many exceptional dances. Mr. Valenzuela and Mr. Dobyns, the hosts, came into the center of the big gym and began the show by cracking a few jokes and explaining how much work the teachers and Orchesis girls put into their routines. Kicking off the show was a heartwarming performance by Sparkle and Orchesis to the classic 80’s jazz song, “ABC.” After that, nine teams of teachers and Orchesis dancers began the competition for the coveted Mirror Ball Trophies: one for the People’s Choice and one for the Judges’ Choice.

The first team to take the stage was Ms. Wahl, freshman Allie Antoyan, and senior Cassidy Brown. They danced to a remix of the classic Grease song “Summer Nights” and Beyonce’s iconic “Flawless.” For their amazing performance, the group scored two nines and two tens.

Next up was Nicholas Breslin, accompanied by sophomore Emma Wang and freshman Arabella Foster. The three of them wowed the audience with their dance to “Under the Sea,” but what really made them memorable was Breslin’s incredible singing as well as dancing performance. They also received two nines and two tens from the judges.

Karissa Jones and Tamisha Williams, two newbies to Dancing with the Teachers, danced next to Moana’s “How Far I’ll Go” with freshman Ava Elliott and junior Ella Wiemann. They performed admirably and scored two nines, an eight, and a seven from the judges.

Following them were Sarai Juarez, freshman Samantha Brewster, and junior Ava Garrett performing a burlesque-style dance called “Show Me How You Burlesque.” Their sassy moves impressed the audience and won them the first perfect score of all tens.

Jessica Abulencia, Heather Kroeger, sophomore Angie Carpio, and freshman Madison Lobel were the next contestants on the floor. The four of them executed a fantastic hip hop performance to a remix of “Gucci Gang,” “Bank Account,” “Magnolia,” and “Humble.” Their thug themed dance impressed the judges as well as the audience and earned them the perfect score of all tens.

Dennis Wilbanks, sophomore Lauren Lobel, and freshman Emily Recker next performed an exciting burglar themed routine to the song “Rolex” that included props such as money bags and a diamond. Their performance was a crowd pleaser that impressed all and earned them another perfect score.

Next to take the stage was a teacher new to CdM, Anne Dufour, dancing alongside freshman Natasha Karam and sophomore Chloe Lui. Dufour proved that she was not to be underestimated as she performed an 80’s workout throwback to “Can’t Stop the Music.” For their spectacular performance, they received an eight, two nines, and a ten.

Kathy Scott, Kathy Hath, Tammy Owney, and Erin Topping incorporated chairs into a saucy dance with sophomore Whitney Bonin and senior Brie Taylor to the song “You Don’t Own Me.” The crowd certainly enjoyed seeing them cut loose and the judges gave them all tens for their performance.

Lastly, a special surprise guest emerged from the back of the gym to dance alongside junior Ally Lobel and senior Hannah Shaw. This guest star was the new Orchesis coach, Amanda Cathey, performing to “Hot Hot Hot” in a cop themed dance. The dance was a huge success and the three of them received a perfect score from the judges.

After these nine performances, a short intermission commenced. During the intermission, the audience had the opportunity to vote for their favorite dance. Though each vote cost a dollar, all the proceeds went to Orchesis. Once the fifteen minutes were up, everyone filed back into their seats and the second act began.

First, the older group of Orchettes performed to “Wings” by Little Mix, showing no doubt from where the next generation of Orchesis dancers will be coming. Following their performance were the Beginning and Intermediate dance classes. They danced to “Feel it Still” by Portugal, the Man. Then, the younger group of Orchettes danced to Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do.” Finally, the crowd was in awe as Orchesis performed their disco Homecoming routine.

When all the dances were over, Michael Dobyns and Daniel Valenzuela announced the winners. Nicholas Breslin, Emma Wang, and Arabella Foster won the People’s Choice and Jessica Abulencia, Heather Kroeger, Angie Carpio, and Madison Lobel won the Judges’ Choice. However, everyone received a participation trophy and it was agreed that the most fun was simply in participating.

Overall, the night was a great success as it brought joy to all participating and watching and rose money for the Orchesis program. Everyone who attended enjoyed themselves and it goes without saying that the teachers are looking forward to competing again next year.

(Left to right) Arabella Foster, Nicholas Breslin, and Emma Wang. Their highly entertaining rendition of “Under the Sea” earned them the People’s Choice.