CdM Theater takes on “The Curious Savage”

Ayden Bird and Natasha Karam

Last week, the CdM theater department presented their take on the classic play “The Curious Savage”. The play follows a wealthy woman named Mrs. Savage (played by Makena Harper) who is sent to live in a sanatorium by her children (Stephen Weinstock, Marc Gildenhuys, Adrienne Simpson).

CdM interpreted the play slightly different than the original debut in the 1950’s. To better portray the mis-interpretation of royalty and psychiatric patients, the set and costumes were all tones of beige and white with the exception of Mrs. Savage’s electric blue hair. With her hair being the only bright color on the stage, it helped engaged audience members into her story line.

The CdM production also featured a diverse cast of characters. Andres Delgado starred as Hannibal, the kind resident that has poor musical skills contrary to Delgado’s. The elegant Florence Williams is played by Grace Shackelford, who embodies the mother of a 5 year-old child that happens to be a doll. Fairy May is played by Sierra Stoliar, who perfectly expresses the child-like behavior of the young woman. Joshua Flores is Jeffrey, the war veteran clinging to an imaginary scar. Breanna Linden does an excellent job portraying the wild Mrs. Willie. Staff members Dr. Emmet and Miss Wilhelmina (whose true identity is a shocking reveal) are portrayed by Miracle Wallace and Kylie Lockington, respectively. Although, beyond the curtains of The Cloisters sanatorium, lies the backstage crew that contributed to the play’s outcome.

In order to make Harper look slightly more aged than the status of a high schooler took a little more effort than the average makeup look for a teen. The makeup and hair crew for the show consisted of Jeniffer Rosales, Giovanny Munoz, Jacyie Carter, and Crystal Hernandez.

Overall, the hard work put into the production of “The Curious Savage” brought an entertaining experience to the CdM community. Congratulations to the CdM theater department for another fantastic show! Make sure to come out and support their next production.