The “It” Factor

Photo+courtesy+of+Koimoi+
Photo courtesy of Koimoi

Photo courtesy of Koimoi

Photo courtesy of Koimoi

Georgia Jeter, Journalist

Chances are, if you haven’t seen the movie “IT,” you’ve definitely heard people talking about it in the hallways at school. “IT” is your typical thriller movie, but its remarkable and enticing story line is what keeps viewers wholeheartedly engaged. The movie was released in early September, and has become a major hit at the box offices. Even though it’s been 31 years since the initial release of Stephen King’s book, “IT” is attracting major audiences, crossing the $300 mark at the box offices. The plot follows the experiences of seven children who undergo serious fright from their many encounters with a blood thirsty clown. Scary, frightening, and unpredictable- this movie has it all.
Over the years, King has written many fiction stories, basing most of his books off of his life experiences and encounters. King is originally from the town of Portland, Maine, but he moved around a lot during his early childhood, gathering inspiration for the creative and unique ideas that have been incorporated into his books. Bustle, the online entertainment and news website, had a chance to interview King on the source of his amazing visions for his books. The idea for “IT” was sparked when King was walking back to pick up his car from the dealership, and crossed a bridge spanning a creek.  According to his interview with Bustle, King “wondered what {he} would do if a troll called out from beneath {him}. All of a sudden {he] wanted to write a novel about a real troll under a real bridge.” Volia- “IT” was published nine years later.
The recent attention and hype, has aroused new interest in King’s literature and writing within the millennial generation. According to Forbes Magazine, “IT” has acquired over $300 million dollars at the box office since its release date, and that number keeps going up.
While some movies become big hits and others fall behind on the leaderboards, it’s always interesting to learn about the visions and ideas that spark a motion picture- especially one as chilling as “IT”. It reminds us that visions can come to life, and inspires us to never underestimate the value of a creative idea. As King says, “A good idea is like a yo-yo, it may go to the end of a string, but it doesn’t die there; it only sleeps. Eventually it rolls back up into your palm.”