Tragedy Strikes Las Vegas

Isabella Webb and Brooklyn Hollander

On Sunday October 1st, over 22,000 people were enjoying themselves an outdoor music festival in Las Vegas when gunfire broke out. A mass panic erupted during the 10-15 minutes of shooting. By the time it was all over, 59 people were dead and almost 500 were injured, marking this tragic event as the biggest mass shooting in modern America.

The shooter, positioned on the 32 floor of the Mandalay Resort and Casino, was later identified by the police as 64 year old Stephan Paddock. Though Paddock was alive when he made first contact with the police, he was later found dead when the officers breached his hotel room. He presumably killed himself.

At least 23 weapons were found with him in the hotel room, including multiple illegal rifles, and some with scopes on them. However, the police believe that Paddock acted alone. Though his motives are still not determined, the FBI have identified no correlation with any international terrorist groups.

This past Friday, during break, Human Relations Council (HRC) hosted a memorial to honor the victims and the families affected by the Las Vegas shooting. A big poster declaring, “We Stand With Las Vegas” was set up in the quad for everyone to sign. Bordering the poster were 59 roses to lay homage for each life lost.

Sophomore Thuy Pham says, “I think that the mass shooting that occurred last weekend was inhumane and is unbearable to think about. It’s really sad to know that there are still people in this world that can bring themselves to do such horrible things.”

CdM students were very respectful, many of them signing the poster to support the families and friends of injured or killed victims. A large crowd surrounded the poster as people reflected on the impact the shooting had on so many lives. “It’s extremely heartwarming to know that HRC would do such an amazing thing. It shows us that there is truly love and compassion in a world that can often be filled with hate,” Pham adds.

In spite of such a tragedy, CdM students truly modeled empathy with this beautiful memorial. By uniting together in acknowledgment to all the lives lost, CdM stands together against such hateful actions and offers support to anyone suffering from this terrible event.