Rock N’ Roll Rebel

Photo courtesy of Billboard.com

Photo courtesy of Billboard.com

Photo courtesy of Billboard.com

Natasha Karam, Journalist

Tom Petty, whose lyrics spoke out to the underdogs and self-effacing style directed him away from classic rock n’ roll, passed away October 2. Known for his peculiar sense of style and southern toned voice, Petty’s classic melodies never failed to please his fans.Throughout his 66 years of life, he left his mark through music he wrote and sang.

Petty’s musical career began at a young age influenced by the king of rock, Elvis Presley. Petty told Bio Bites, “ I was bitten pretty hard at the age of 11 and everything after that went out the window.” It was first time he met Presley that he realized he wanted to pursue music, and after that, his interest in sports diminished.

At the age of 17, Petty craved playing music day and night. With his heart leading his head, he made the choice to drop highschool and perform with the band later known as Mudcrutch. He partook in the band as the frontman and general songwriter, which helped set his foundation for the fame creeping upon him.

The debut of the five man band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, was in 1976 when Petty was 26. Petty’s legacy was lead through his lyrics and voice he contributed to the band. According to Performigsongwriter.com, Petty said,” As long as it’s got some soul to it, it’s going to be fine. It’s so simple you could walk right by it.” For these reasons, he’s known as the poet of songwriting, with his lyrics straightforward, yet appealing to all stereotypes.

From, “Free Fallin’’” to “Refugee”, the band produced 13 albums through their time together. Petty told ew.com,” It was about moving people, and changing the world, and I really believed in rock n’ roll — I still do.” Rock n’ roll was Petty’s muse, it’s his ‘religion,’ it’s his life.

It’s on Monday October 2, when Petty’s life was taken from cardiac arrest. Not only did the Heartbreakers and Petty create four decades of music, but also served as a musical inspiration to many. His love for music and talent will continue to shine beyond his years along with his choice to take classic rock and rebel against the general standards rock n’ roll valued.