Warcross: Book Review

Brooklyn Hollander, Journalist

On September 12th of this year, New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu released her new book “Warcross”. As the first book of her new series, it was highly anticipated and definitely worth the wait. This urban fantasy book was much different that her previous series, “The Young Elites”, which was a high fantasy series. Warcross is a brand new concept and while reading, the reader really feels as though they’re in this world themselves.

Warcross is set in the real world but a few decades in the future. There is a virtual reality technology that has been created that rather than having a huge box stuck to someone’s head, it is a simple pair of slim glasses. The glasses connect to a person’s brain so that the images displayed feel real. Similar to how in dreams our brains create images that seem real, the virtual reality lenses use that portion of a person’s brain to make the virtual reality really seem like reality.

Everyone in the world uses these lenses. With them someone can visit anywhere from New York to Tokyo to the Bahamas as well as a fantasy world with dragons and mermaids. As well as all those features, the lenses are installed with a game called Warcross. The game has become a worldwide sensation. People commit their lives to this game and there is even an annual National Championship. The best players from around the world come to Tokyo to compete in biggest event of the year.

Emika Chen is an 18 year old hacker and bounty hunter living in a small, gross apartment in New York City with $13 to her name. When she accidentally hacks her way into the opening ceremony of the Warcross championship games, she goes from almost being evicted from her apartment to getting a mysterious job offer from the creator of the lenses and Warcross, Hideo Tanaka.

Warcross is a fast paced novel, with dynamic characters and a plot that keeps the reader guessing throughout the whole book. The way Lu writes creates the illusion that makes the reader feel like they are experiencing the virtual reality right alongside the characters. This book is impossible to put down as there is never a dull moment.

Anyone who enjoyed any of Lu’s other series will be sure to love this one. The next book does not come out for another year, and fans are already highly anticipating its release. If someone has not already picked up this book they should as it is one of the best urban fantasy releases of the year.