The Biggest Comeback of the Year

Photo courtesy of Big Hit Entertainment.

Brooklyn Hollander and Thuy Pham

Korean pop sensation and boy band BTS is making their long-awaited comeback this coming Monday, September 18. The boys recently wrapped up their extremely successful Wings Tour around the world, visiting places such as Anaheim, Newark, and even Chicago. On Korean social media platforms such as Naver, V-Live, and more, BTS is the ‘it’ topic. BTS’ entertainment company released the first wave of news in late August, notifying fans of preorders for their new album, ‘Love Yourself: Her’. BTS’ A.R.M.Y. of fans trended hashtags such as #Serendipity and #Love_Yourself on Twitter, promoting both the group and their newest album.

This new “era” for BTS is thought to be a significant one in the group’s career, according to fans and Korean media outlets. Since being awarded a Billboard Music Award in May, their international fanbase has grown significantly. Both the new fans and the old fans were anxious for their newest tracks to be released. Before even releasing any images of what the album looked like, ‘Love Yourself: Her’ received over one million pre-orders around the world on both Amazon and their official website. It was not until last week that Big Hit Entertainment, the producers of BTS, began dropping teaser images from each of the four versions of the album.

On Labor Day, Big Hit Entertainment dropped the comeback trailer for the new album, ‘Love Yourself: Her.’ The comeback trailer, titled ‘Serendipity’, portrayed the newly acquired aesthetic of the group, featuring lead vocalist and dancer Jimin. Similar to main dancer and lead rapper, J-Hope’s trailer titled ‘Boy Meets Evil’, from the Wings era, BTS featured a singular member to hype up the fans for the comeback. The song was written and produced by leader and main rapper Rap Monster, and fans were left more thrilled than ever for what BTS had planned next.

On September 14th, BTS released a trailer for their title track, ‘DNA.’ It began with the main vocalist, dancer, and youngest of the group, Jungkook, walking into the frame while whistling a verse of the song. The camera follows him before zooming out for a view of all the members assembled in a dance formation. As the music starts and the boys begin to dance, the teaser ends abruptly.  Being only 56 seconds long, it left fans craving for more. As of today, both the videos, comeback trailer ‘Serendipity’ and the teaser for their title track ‘DNA’, have received millions of views. Both videos trended on YouTube thanks to the love and support of their fans all around the world.

With a fanbase that is bigger than ever, the boys are truly ready for the comeback of the year. Fans can anticipate new concepts and new styles of music from the boys, including a track on their new album featuring The Chainsmokers. For more on the comeback, be sure to check out their official YouTube channel along with their official Twitter account for updates.