• October 11BOTB Boys Water Polo 10/13 at 5:30pm at NHHS

• October 6Homecoming Tickets on Sale Now!

Off to Europe!

Photo by Maya Satchell.

Photo by Maya Satchell.

Photo by Maya Satchell.

Brooklyn Hollander and Thuy Pham

With the end of the year fast-approaching, Corona del Mar ASB hosted the final rally of the year to announce colleges that seniors will be attending and to promote the prom theme. The rally began with a creative video presenting the newest rally hosts, Kennedy Mulvaney and Trenton Rhodes who would be replacing the previous hosts Cameron Kormos and Dylan Tucker. The video featured a special appearance from CdM’s previous vice principal, Mr. Patterson. All the students enjoyed Patterson’s appearance, which was unexpected and hilarious for many.  The two hosts then took to the center of the gym to announce the first destination in Europe, Italy.

The rally was kicked off by Corona del Harmony, an acapella group that hyped up the crowd for the rest of the rally. The group sang Lean On by Major Lazer ft. Mo and DJ Snake. The crowd then joined with the performance by clapping along to the song. This interactive performance was not only fun for the group of singers, but it was also fun for the crowd.

Mulvaney and Rhodes then took us to Norway, where they introduced the CDM Cheer and Sparkle team. Sparkle wowed us with their moves. They were dressed as vikings to represent the history and culture that the country is widely known for. As usual, the crowd loved Sparkle.

“I thought Sparkle’s performance was super cute and enjoyable. As always, I love watching the kids of Sparkle perform alongside their partners of the CDM Cheer and Song team,” said freshman Ava Donaldson.

Next, Corona del Mar High School students were taken to England to experience the drums of royalty with CDM drumline. Dressed as English royal palace guards in red shirts and tall black hats, the drummers wowed the crowd as usual with their quick hand movements as they maintained a difficult rhythm on their drums. The drummers shook the entire gym with the loud banging of their drums.

Two members of CDM High School ASB’s tech crew, Tati Bruening and Zade Kaylani presented a funny video to present the theme of prom: C’est La Vie.

Finally it was time to catch a flight home. Orchesis dressed as the flight attendants for the flight back. They performed spectacularly for their last dance of the year. For the seniors this was their last time performing in a rally and they definitely made the best of it. The jazz dance was filled with plenty of hair flips and high kicks. Orchesis not only met but passed all expectations.

“Performing in the rally with the seniors for the last time was fun. I think the performance went well and was memorable, not only for this year’s Orchesis members but also for the entire student body. I hope that everyone enjoyed the performance as much as I enjoyed performing it,” said freshman and Orchesis member Angie Carpio.

Following the performance, hosts Mulvaney and Rhodes presented the annual college slideshow that showed where each senior would be attending college. The slideshow showed that many CdM seniors will be attending USC, Cal, Cal Poly SLO, and other schools. The school with the most amount of CdM seniors joining was USC. There were many other colleges and universities from across the country that our seniors will be attending.

The rally concluded with the final class cheer for the seniors and an opportunity to hype up the rest of the gym before the rally would finally come to an end. Overall, the rally was memorable to both students and staff. The prom and Destination: Europe-themed rally was a great way to conclude the 2016-2017 school year.