• May 19Prom is June 3rd! Buy Your Tix Now!!

• May 17Boys Baseball CIF Game on Friday May 19th @ 3:30

• March 31One Recovery Meetings every Monday at 7pm!

Identity LA: Music Festival

It’s festival season! In addition to the well-known festivals of Coachella and Stagecoach, it is easy to find smaller and local festivals that offer just as much fun as the big ones. This past Saturday, May 6th, popular Asian Youtubers International Secret Agents and the City of Los Angeles presented a free music festival in Los Angeles Grand Park. The festival was hosted by the Far East Movement and Wong Fu Productions, who are also famous Asian Youtubers. In honor of Asian/Pacific American Heritage month, the music festival featured a variety of Asian culture highlights, from food to performers. The concert itself was entirely general admission, with a crowd of eight thousand people showing up to see the performers.

Council member and another important figure who helped to carry out the festival David Ryu told media outlet AllKpop, “Identity LA is about coming together to celebrate APA’s [Asian/Pacific American’s] dynamic culture, and the tremendous contributions to the city of Los Angeles.”

An especially famous artist had the opportunity to headline the festival and concert that occurred soon after many more people arrived in the Grand Park. Extremely popular Korean R&B artist, Dean, who is based in South Korea but performs for many crowds across the United States, gave Los Angeles a little taste of what Korean music is really like. Dean also brought along the rest of ‘Club Eskimo,’ the music group that he is currently touring in the United States with. The members that were present at the festival include Miso and 2xxx. For those who don’t know who ‘Club Eskimo’ is, they are a music crew that is based in Seoul, South Korea. Other artists who were also featured at the festival include Us the Duo, Giraffage, Starro (Soulection), Year of the Ox, Kronika (Soulection), DJ Zo, Tenelle, Doctors & Engineers, and Saay. The lineup for this year’s festival showcases a variety of Asian R&B, hip hop, and pop music.

Overall, the music festival was a success with an overall turnout of over eight thousand people, mainly of Asian or Pacific American Heritage. Those who weren’t Asian or Pacific American came out to celebrate the culture anyway with a variety of food trucks showcasing Asian culture and the concert. Attendees of the music festival also included reporters from NBC4, who highlighted some of the festival and fan’s best moments. Fans of the performers enjoyed the concert and food offered as well. Those who hosted and planned the music festival can now say that kicking off celebrations for Asian/Pacific American heritage month was a success.