• June 7Summer Vocal Concert is June 9th-10th at 2pm and 7pm!

• June 7Start Studying For Finals!

• June 7Summer is only 2 weeks away!

Take A Deep Breath and Relax

Samantha Pierotti, Journalist

Life today can be stressful. People are constantly trying to fit in one more activity, whether it’s exercise, more homework, or getting to the store to buy food for the week. There is never time to just sit down and relax or unwind; everyone always has too much to do. Sometimes, people are barely aware of how their body feels or what emotion they are feeling until it overcomes them. Meditation trains the mind and body to be more aware of how you’re feeling, and improves your emotional bounce back and mood.

A lot of people are skeptical meditation, and say that it’s childish, but those who are willing to try it say it changed their life. In Katy Perry’s interview with Life Reimagined, she said “I have been meditation for two years now, and it’s the best thing I have ever done. It  helps bring more creativity, positive energy, and peace into my life.”

Visual Meditation covered the seven types that are most popular with their clients, writing what part of the mind or body it focuses on and what the practice entails. Transcendental Meditation is their most popular type; the goal of it is a state of enlightenment in which inner peace is experienced. In Hindu tradition, meditators would sit upon a lotus and chant mantras that would lift them above negativity. Inner peace is hard to find, and it is recommended that meditators learn this type of meditation with a guide or on a retreat. Although it is the hardest to do, transcendental meditation is also reported to be the most rewarding.

Another type of meditation is Heart Rhythm meditation. There are three steps to this practice, and the end goal of the process is to feel connected to all of the living things in the universe. The first step is to focus on your own heart, while breathing in time to a set number of beats. This results in the meditator feeling centered in their own body as well as relaxed. The second stage is to become aware of the energetic field seeping from your heart with every breath you take. After this, meditators will feel more in check emotionally with their surroundings, and will have more empathy for others. The final stage is the formal meditation, the kind where the meditator sits on the ground and crosses their legs. This is supposed to help the meditator find the universe inside of them, and their place within the universe.

If the first two types of meditation seem out of reach, mindfulness meditation is a simple and easy way to start meditating. Lions Roar says that mindfulness meditation is works to make the mind clear, focused, and calm. In this meditative state a meditator will remain fully conscious and intelligent, well also letting their mind rest and giving it time to think. Mindfulness can be practiced anywhere, but should be done in a reasonably quiet place that will be undisturbed for the desired amount of time. When a meditator practices mindfulness, they are training their brain and clearing out all the gunk. A mindful brain will work better under pressure, and can be more reasonable in times of high stress.

Although meditation may seem like an ancient practice, it has adapted to modern day life pretty well. There are countless apps for both Android and Apple that teach mindfulness and daily meditation. The best two free apps, according to Healthline, are Headspace and Calm. Calm starts you off with a seven day program in which you can choose the amount of time you want to meditate for and features a seven day sleep program for people who have trouble sleeping. Headspace has a ten day program in which you take ten minutes every day to meditate with a guide. “Take Ten” is a great way to begin meditating, because there is a guide saying what to focus on which keeps the mind from wandering off. It also features a buddy system that lets the user encourage friends to join them on their journey.

Overall, meditation is a great way to get more out of life. It keeps the meditator calm while they do their everyday routine, and reminds them to be thankful for what they have. No matter what kind of meditation you decide to do, it will help you feel more energized and in touch with your feelings daily.