• June 7Summer Vocal Concert is June 9th-10th at 2pm and 7pm!

• June 7Start Studying For Finals!

• June 7Summer is only 2 weeks away!

Fashion Trends of the New Year

Brooklyn Hollander and Thuy Pham

As everyone always says the moment twelve o’clock hits on the morning of January 1, “a new year means a new you.” A new year also means new fashion trends, especially for luxury fashion designers who plan their upcoming season’s collections at least six months before the season begins. According to major retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus, and many more, designers have featured three major fashion trends in their spring and summer collections. These trends include stripes, sneakers, and athletic-inspired pieces.
The first thing to look out for from designers is stripes. Luxury designers like Valentino, RED Valentino, Opening Ceremony, Chloe, and many more are introducing striped pants and shirts to their spring and summer collections of 2017. The warmer weather calls for striped t-shirts and wide-legged pants are especially popular for designers this season. From banker stripes to seaside stripes, there are many varieties of color combinations and line arrangements that make each and every piece unique.
Sneakers are becoming extremely popular with young adults and adults who seek comfort and style for their feet. Popular luxury designers have been incorporating this trend into their collections since the beginning of 2016 and this trend has increased in popularity ever since then. To name a few of these designers, Gucci, Valentino, Raf Simmons, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, and Chanel are major sneaker designers in the new year. Each and every designer makes their sneakers unique with a signature design. For example, Adidas and Raf Simmons have collaborated to create a collection full of unique shoe designs for the younger crowd. Saint Laurent has featured a variety of patches and are especially known for their star patches. Valentino, known for his signature rockstuds, has been releasing a variety of sneaker designs with these studs. Chanel sneakers are especially recognizable to people with their signature logo that is placed on the side of the sneaker. This trend is especially popular because it appeals to all ages.
Athletic-inspired pieces have been attracting the attention of designers since 2016. They have never been as popular as they have become in the new year. Luxury brands like Valentino have created lower “sports” lines such as Red Valentino. Another brand that is known for their lower “sports” line is Comme des Garcons, who released Comme des Garcons PLAY not too long ago. By athletic pieces, we mean lighter, less formal materials and styles. Since designer typically focus on higher-end and more expensive pieces, their sports lines offer cheaper prices, yet still nice pieces. Additionally, collaborations between major designers and sports brands have been especially popular in the fashion scene. Brand-name designers that have participated in this trend include Off-White by Virgil Abloh, Adidas with Stella McCartney, and Puma with Rihanna, also known as FENTY. These sports brands have provided comfort and cheaper prices for everyone who enjoys wearing designer brand-name clothes.
2017 is an especially big year in the fashion world. With a variety of new trends and pieces being introduced to fashion enthusiasts. Be sure to look out for all celebrities and fashion figures sporting this trend in the upcoming 2017 spring and summer season.